Friday, May 2, 2014

NEW CHALLENGE AND EXTRA SPECIAL NSD PRIZE!

Hello friends and welcome to our new blog!  Today we are sharing our first challenge on our new blog!  We hope you love it!  Before we get to our extra special National Scrapbook Day challenge and prize, let's announce our winner from the last challenge (to use a quote).  We had 6 entries for the last challenge.  Thank you so much to everyone who played along!  Our {randomly chosen} winner of the last challenge is: MANDI!!!  Mandi, please email Kelly at kelsterjean@gmail.com and she will send you out your Teresa Collins Memorabilia kit!

Now onto our extra special current challenge!  Since tomorrow is National Scrapbook Day and there will be inspiration floating around everywhere, we thought it would be fun to have a scraplift challenge.  So your challenge is to scraplift a favorite designer!

Heather

There are so many scrapbookers and designers that I love!  Surprisingly, I like an eclectic mix of styles.  As you know, our challenge for this very special weekend is to scraplift your favorite project and/or scrapbooker!  I had a lot of fun with this layout!  I've been trying to perfect the look of a clean, artsy style.  I am not a messy scrapbooker.  My personality type does not allow for that!  But, I love the paints, stencils, watercolors, etc. that are consuming the scrapbook world like wildfire.  So, the person I think of that fits the style I'm looking for is Wilna Furstenberg.  Her style is so bright and cheery, as well making everything she creates absolutely gorgeous.  She has this perfect balance of a clean, messy look.  I don't know how else to describe it!  I'm also loving the videos she's been posting on her blog.  She's very inspirational when it comes to using paints.

Here's Wilna's layout that I scraplifted for this challenge...

Created by Wilna Furstenberg
The post in which she debuts this page also has a video showcasing the process in creating her page.  I love the text in the background she made with a die cut "stencil" from her Silhouette Cameo, modeling paste, and gold metallic spray paint.  I literally fell in love while watching this process video.

Here's my scraplifted page...

DSCN2730

I also created a "stencil" with my Silhouette Cameo software and die cut this with white cardstock.  The lyrics are part of mine and Mr. Sweet's wedding song:  "Hold On" by Michael Buble.  I cannot remember which fonts I used.  **sad face**

I mixed FolkArt Metallic Acrylic Paint in Pure Gold with modeling paste and spread it over the words.  To temporarily adhere my "stencil" to my background paper, I used a spray adhesive.  Although, I need to make a note to myself that I need to invest in a temporary spray adhesive... I had to throw away my "stencil" because I ripped it in a few spots trying to carefully peel the "stencil" off my background paper.

DSCN2733

This photo is actually not from our wedding day.  It was a photo from when we first met that I absolutely love.  I used Teresa Collin's Daily Stories (love, love this collection with the lovely designs and beautiful color palette) for my photo cluster layers and embellishments.

DSCN2732

The gold polka dot journaling card is a vellum card (in love with vellum) from the Sheer Metallic Albums Made Easy kit from We R Memory Keepers.  The doily was in my stash.  The gold chipboard hearts and camera, along with the wood veneer heart are from my stash as well.  I was also able to use a few (of the hundreds) of the DIY enamel dots I made a few weeks ago.  If you're interested in reading my how-to, check out my blog post.

I used the biggest layer of patterned paper as a pocket to house my journaling.  As I already have so many words on the layout, I didn't want to overdo it with added journaling.

DSCN2744

If you want to see more detailed photos of my layout, check out my Flickr album here.

Kelly

When I need inspiration or am struggling to create a layout, the first thing I do is look for inspiration around the inter-webs.  Layouts are my hardest projects to create, so I am usually always looking for inspiration somewhere!  One of my favorite designers is Shimelle.  I really love her style and approach to creating layouts, and love that her story comes first always.  Here is the layout I scraplifted from Shimelle:
 photo Shimellescrapliftlayout.jpg

I immediately loved this layout as soon as I saw it!  I was so drawn to the square photo mats and the grid pattern and especially the journaling around the layout.  I loved the clusters of embellies and the title in one of the squares.  So here is what I created:

 photo HelloSnow1.jpg

I know it's spring and I'm scrapbooking about snow.....I used to LOVE snow before we had this cruel and unusually harsh winter.  The photos featured in this layout actually are from several years ago, when we had what we in Chicago call "Snowmaggedon," nearly 35 {plus} inches of snow.  It was ridiculous!!
 photo HelloSnow3.jpg

I decided to turn the one-pager into a two-pager since I had LOTS of photos I wanted to scrapbook.  (I'll be sharing on my blog soon some ideas for printing small photos such as these!)  The squares are a stamp from Unity and the embellishments and ribbon are various scraps I had in my stash.  This is a GREAT WAY to use your stash!  The patterned paper is from SEI.

 photo HelloSnow2.jpg

I used a combination of stamping and paint throughout the layout and especially for the "snow pattern" that carries over throughout the layout.  I am super in love with how this turned out!  Now it's your turn!

How To Play Along

1)  Create a scraplifted project.  It can be from a well know scrapbooker/designer, or from the many of scrapbook galleries online.
2)  Link your project to this blog post using the InLinkz link below.  Also, in your own blog post tell us which project you scraplifted.  If you just uploaded into an online gallery, make sure to note in the comments section of your gallery upload where your inspiration came from.
3) Because this is a special National Scrapbook Day challenge, the challenge will only be open until THURSDAY, MAY 15TH.  You have until 8PM CST on MAY 15TH to link up your project.

Prize

This is our biggest challenge prize ever!  We thought we'd go all out for the biggest scrapbooking weekend of the year!  
Kit contents found here
The Merlin Studio Calico May Add-On kit will go to one lucky winner!  Now, you have to play along and link up your project for your chance to win!

Now that you all have been fully inspired, not just by Just Two Midwest Girls, but with all the scrapbook love this weekend, come play along with us!  We love seeing everything you all create!

xoxo,
Heather and Kelly


5 comments:

  1. Awesome challenge and loveeeeeee what you both created!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You both did an amazing job of your layouts! Awesome challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooops, I think I was suppose to enter a layout not a card to your challenge. So I added a page. You can ignore the card.
    Thanks for the fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can enter a layout or a card, as long as you reference who you scraplifted from. Love both of your projects!

      Delete
  4. This is the first time I've played along with one of your challenges- so fun!! I scraplifted Celine Navarro. :)
    http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/gallery/member/549351-katiebug92/1996769-swiss-chard/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and feedback! xoxo